Thursday, April 21, 2011

Books and Video we used for Tt Turtle

Just thought I'd list three of the books we used for our Tt Turtle unit since they worked the best for us.

The first was All About Turtles by Jim Arnosky. I really like Jim Arnosky's nature illustrations. I was turned on to them a couple of years ago while using My Father's World Exploring Countries and cultures. His books are really helpful when doing nature study.



The second book is Fun With Nature by Mel Boring I think I'm going to try to purchase this one because it's something like six books in one. I wish I'd found it back when we were studying Ll Leaf. I like the short two-page spreads. They're perfect for short attention spans.



The last one is "Maybe Donna Wants a Cheeseburger!" by Karen Adler. This one is really cute. It tells the story of a Box Turtle named Donna who lived in a class room and how her owner, the teacher, explained hibernation and other turtle-specific terminology. We used some of the definitions in the back of the book for the Dudes turtle vocabulary in his turtle lapbook. Tink was actually the one who found this book for me. She had seen it at our local Whole Foods and liked it so she told me to get it for the Dude. I love how my girls look out for their little brother. :)


I also found a video from a show called Eco Geeks on Alligator Snapping Turtles. It was short and caught the Dude's attention. Now he focuses on that particular turtle whenever he hears about it. It's also the turtle he chose to do his lapbook report booklet on.

I'll probably post again to show the Dude's lapbook and his WH Question cards that his speech teacher made for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment